Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Little Light: A Million-Dollar Topic and my Two Cents…

Here it goes: the million-dollar question that every high school leaver in Malaysia asks at one point or another: What will I do after SPM???

I tried to find the answers. Some people are just so confident that they have the guts (i mean this in a positive way)to say stuff like: “Oh I’ll be doing foundation courses on business in so-and-so college” or “I want to major in pharmacy studies, so I’ll do F6 Bio” and the best one: “My parents already arranged for me to study medicine/(name of prestigious degree) in the UK/US/Australia” (these are supposedly stereotypical, not reflecting actual responses of people I know)

 3832303410_785ed7b103 2550349404_3251282109 143186839_5c9fad13cd 292262245_7c480610e1

Well, I’m nowhere near there.

At first, due to financial constrains, my 99% most probable option now is F6 and STPM…it’s free and since I have no definite career path i have 2 years to decide=)A lot of people look down on it for a lot of reasons…I don’t. I respect and admire those who decide to go for it, because it’s reasonably tough and trains us to be more hardworking to do work and exams.However, I’m also considering other options.Why?

1)Call it a personal weakness or whatever…I don’t think I can excel in F6 Bio or Physics. reasons: Bio (not really interested so no motivation to read) and Physics (I’m weird in the sense that I’m ok with Physics but hate math…)

2)Because my previous school only offers SC stream, I would have to look for another school to register for my only other option: Art. Art is either Economics (ok..I’m not too interested in accounts though)or Visual Arts(absolutely NO interest). Not to mention the red tape involved in changing streams and schools, and the disadvantage socially when popular former graduates of the school are elected or trusted for posts in extra-curricular activities…means I’m less involved..sigh.

There are a lot of other options available but they all take up tons of $$$…I’m currently comparing A-levels with STPM…I look at the flexibility of subjects offered and feel that it suits me better…in terms of personality and future career options(not to say that A-levels is better, just that i think it suits me personally)but its way expensive…unless I get a scholarship, which the probability of me getting it is one in a million?

I don’t get a lot of A+ results…and I’m not particularly outstanding in anything I think. HOLD ON, (this is a revelation!)I think one factor stands between a scholarship chance and none:my NEGATIVITY.

God made me a unique, one-of-a-kind creation; and there ARE abilities and strengths that I do possess. Sure, it’s overshadowed by many personal weaknesses, but I can change, not just because I said so, but because I can grow and learn with God’s grace and also to be humble enough…it takes time…so I can do it. Yes, I may as well get rejected, but it dosen’t hurt to TRY.

Anyway, I’m finally starting theory lessons on driving tomorrow. Yay! Finally I have to learn something after 1.5 months of doing almost nothing=)

No comments:

Post a Comment