Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Distractions In A Busy, Busy World (Part 2)

In Part 1, I listed down the 3 major reasons on why (I think) we tend to get distracted so easily. In this post, I'm going to explore some of the ways to deal with the distractions that we face.

I'm going to cut straight to the chase today. The following are some ways that we can deal with distraction, from various sources and also personal experience:

  • Allow for distractions. This, I believe, even though it seemingly contradicts the whole idea of minimizing distractions, is one of the most effective methods to curb distraction. Why, you ask? Have you heard of the saying 'forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest'? It means that the more something is prohibited, the more people actually want to do it. Just look at your typical high school for some live examples. Distractions happen because most work is stressful, and they provide a means of de-stressing. In this case a certain amount of distractions are actually good for us, since 'all work and no play make Jack a dull boy', so the temptation to be distracted is lessened when we actually allow some of it in our schedules, i.e 5 minutes of Internet-surfing, newspaper reading, Farmville-playing etc. However, do time your distractions; don't get too distracted until you forget that there's work to be done!
  • Make a to-do list. After that, stick it in the most obvious of places, put reminders all over on your phone, laptop and iPad, and (if you can) tell everyone that is around you and/or working with you about what you're supposed to do. Of course, you can skip one or more steps that I mentioned earlier (except the to-do list, that's the most important part) if you possess more generous amounts of the ability of un-forgetfulness, but my point here is that this simple mechanism helps to bring priority in the tasks that we supposed to do. A numbered list or one that has large to small font (in order of importance) helps accentuate this purpose better. Here's an example of what I'm going to do after I finish publishing this post:
  1. Take out my Business Studies 1 textbook, notebook and my smart notes book and start doing some study notes. 
  2. While taking a break, draft my post on today's Daily.
  3. Continue studying.
  4. 2nd break (my afternoon break is longer because I can't really focus during the afternoon) : Schedule posts + load Lower Six orientation pics to my school's Form Six page (where I'd just became a co-admin)
  5. ...and so on and so forth.
  • Invest in a timer. This simple device helps me to keep track of time while doing stuff, as when we are so into something, be it work or entertainment, we lose track of the time that is passing us by. Setting a timer helps me keep a reality check on how important the task is, as well as remind me that as important or exciting the thing I'm doing is, there are other things to do, too. The timer that I have is a 1-hour timer, as most of the things I do can be divided into less than 1-hour chunks. (Trust me, when you set more than an hour for doing anything, restlessness sets in easily, and so does the temptation to be distracted...!
  • Occasional treats do work. I mentioned earlier that distractions should be allowed to de-stress. Here, I'm emphasizing the same principle except that this one comes in the form of rewards. After an hour of grueling work, do something that you enjoy (preferably not internet or TV-related as that may strain your eyes). Calling someone to chat, going out for a stroll in the garden, playing with your pet, playing a musical instrument, and (occasionally) enjoying a snack such as chocolate helps keep the mind fresh :)
  • Be accountable for your important tasks. It really helps me to have at least one other person asking me if I have finished something. It actually happens all the time -- can you remember the last time mom asked you to fold your blanket or do your dishes -- and even though it can be quite annoying at times, you are actually reminded that there's something that you need to finish. So, the next time you need to do something, it helps when someone is there to reinforce it by gently reminding you. Now I know the ideal student is one who can do stuff without being told -- and we are all aiming for that -- but I'm referring to reminding versus. telling, and here I'd like to stress that we shouldn't be over-reliant on reminders as they are there to reinforce something that we need to do.
So there you have it. I've listed 5 ideas that have, at one time or another, worked for me. I am no expert in human behavior, I'm just a girl with personal opinions based on experience and I hope that these tips can help you too :) I've decided to do away with part 3, as the ideas in this part cover the content that I had originally intended to post there. Also, this blog will now start focusing on current issues and also things that relate to students in the 16-23 age range, and understanding for the rest :)

Image sources (in order of appearance): (1), (2), (3), (4), (5)

No comments:

Post a Comment