Thursday, January 12, 2012

Job Search (Part 1)

Image taken from here.

Finally, the day has arrived.

Today, I was going to walk into the world out there...and see how law offices really looked like outside my somewhat wild imagination - no, I mean, to apply for a temporary job in a law firms so that I know how's it like dealing with 'law' on a daily basis.

Even when I woke up today morning my heart was pounding - I didn't know what to expect at all. This walking door to door thing was really scary, and it really felt like I was the 'deer' in the village. I changed my outfit twice and checked my bag repeatedly to make sure it was worthy of an office visit.

So after filling up the car with its breakfast of petrol, we headed off to the office blocks at a prominent business area near our place. The place was rather jammed in the morning but we found a place and started making rounds around the blocks.

(Most) law offices tend to stand out with obviously black and gold signage (so cool) and the words 'advocators and solicitors' on it. However we also had an address list from Google search for confirmation of the places. So following the signs we went to the offices and rang the doorbells (they all were air-conditioned). I was scared and profusely sweating but then I tried my level best to say what I came for: "Good morning, I'm here to look for a temporary job". My mom actually chipped in for me and elaborated: "She's a form six leaver intending to further her studies in law and as such she would like to..." Thank you mom. I wanted to say that but froze when I got a negative 'no vacancies currently available' back I'd get momentarily stunned.

(note to self: Deb you'd better learn to take rejection in stride, girl. People get rejected all the time. Welcome to the real world-lah!).

Anyway the people I've met so far were helpful and took my resume, reference, application letter and contact details (which I've pre-packed in envelopes and wrote 'To the manager' on top a day before) and reassured me that they will call me if needed.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed and continue part 2 of my job search on Monday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment