Saturday, April 9, 2011

Embarrassing Moments


While finding material when doing a MUET writing exercise for school about face-to-face communication, I came across this quote that went something like this: No amount of red blushing smileys can express how deeply embarrassed someone really is, and how they really want to find a hole and escape somewhere where no one can see them.

It holds true for everyone: we all had those times where we somewhat became a laughing stock to others and our face turns bright red.

Just this Thursday I and one of my best friends had reasons to turn red. I admit that we were guilty as charged. The crime: We came in late after recess, thanks to us taking our time to walk back to class instead of running back. Maybe I took it too easy, but the moment we entered class everyone looked at us one kind, and from my teacher's expression we were going to be punished. I was right -- we were asked to sing the national anthem in front of the entire class. Only the two of us singing our hearts out, I mean. 

In the end, to appease everyone, I did sing, but now thinking about it I didn't sing my best. (Another best friend took the 'trouble' to record the whole ordeal. Wow, I'm relieved that the recording is not public) I know that I could have definitely did a better job, since (no bragging intended) music is in my genes somewhat, but I did a sloppy job up there. I was unwilling to look silly, period, and I am glad that with God's help I managed not to turn sour the entire day after that and still laugh about it later. A small step in maturity :)

Naturally, there are a few folks in our lives that are very sporting and not so image-conscious, and can do silly stuff and make everyone have a good laugh about it later. Yup, you know them: they clown around and make themselves look silly, and even if (brace yourself for this one, I'm using an extreme example here) they were to accidentally release a loud burp or fart in front of everyone they can still humorously say 'Oops, my bad' and laugh it away. ;)

However, some of us don't have that sort of temperament when it comes to those kind of moments. At that time where we were asked to sing, I felt the need to take care of my (kind of) bruised ego while being laughed at by the entire class. In the same week I needed to apologize publicly and privately to others quite many times, and honestly, when you read this you'd know that I often do struggle with my own ego -- even though I know and will do certain things due to strong principles that I hold to, that it's the right thing to do, I would still feel embarrassed and taken aback throughout. 

Have you ever thought that you had to be flawless? On this, I learned this wisdom:

It's said that when people let down their perfect images that they are trying to portray to the world and be let down in a moment of weakness, people tend to be able to relate to that person better simply due to the human-ness that they show in those moments: He/she's just like us, and we become more approachable when we let the images that we try to define ourselves go and just be normal, just be ourselves, allowing people to laugh at us, and most importantly, when we are able to laugh at ourselves.

Now that's true maturity in my opinion.

You know what? Dropping my image just may be one of the best favors that I can do for myself in life, and I think that we should all do that too, releasing those inhibitions of image-consciousness and perfectionism that so often stifle us from reaching our true potential.

The next time I make a mistake, I'm going to try not to fret so much about it.

And I'm going to look back at those little moments and laugh. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment