Monday, June 6, 2011

Have You Ever...Won A Contest?

Ooo, that trophy sure is shiny...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I answer the question above, first let me present to you a nonsensical rant on reality TV that, well, I just feel like writing after watching some auditions of a popular reality show and before thinking about daydreaming about stardom. Feel free to skip the next three paragraphs if you're not so keen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an hour or so into relishing your favorite reality TV show, the host announces an ad break just before announcing who's gonna be eliminated this week, leaving the show in a cliffhanger and you blank. "Awww...they have to put the ads now?" you mutter under your breath, but silently breathe a sigh of relief because your legs are seriously cramped after being in the same position on the couch for the past, immensely intense hour.

Just as you were about to get up and walk around to relieve the blood flow in your legs while running a live commentary in your head about who should really be out , the flashy ad catches your eye. "Do you want to be a star? Shoot from mediocrity to fame and fortune? (Okay, they don't exactly say that, but reality shows always aim to make a somebody out of the average Joe with raw talent, good looks, charming personality and a 'story' to tell, don't you think?) If you think you have what it takes (of course after meeting the basic age and experience criteria), come and audition at the following venues (bla, bla, bla at some hotel or hall somewhere). Remember to bring 2 pieces of passport-size photos for registration purposes. See you there!"

At that moment, you think, Maybe I can be a star. I can sing/dance/cook/model/do business/look pretty, and maybe this is my big break. But then you gulp when you remember the kinds of experts that join those kind of competitions, and say 'maybe not, it's just a dream'. That was the closest you ever got to for joining TV contests.

PS: The 'you' in the above illustration is purely fictional. And I have nothing against reality TV being a platform for the talented to get due recognition for their abilities. However I do feel that sometimes not everyone's dreams come true as said...and that reality TV is kinda commercialized. It has its good and bad...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At a more down-to-earth level, have you ever won any contest, even school level ones? Try to recall that experience. How was it like to be pronounced the winner? First or second runner up? Consolation? Often, when joining a contest for the first time, the odds of winning are pretty slim, unless you are extremely talented. However, my personal observation of some reality shows (I won't name them here) show that there are some pretty stubborn folk who audition for 2, 3, 4 times or more in the following seasons, and eventually many do get in for the experience. I'm not just talking about reality shows here; I'm talking about contests of any kind, even the sports day in kindergarten where you just won first place in the mini-sack race. (I did! :) )

Do you have a trophy cabinet at home? It's something people are proud of right? Imagine a proud set of parents showing visitors and relatives of the family their trophy cabinet, saying 'This is what my kids have achieved, look!' Or perhaps you're the one admiring the trophies that you have collected since primary school for being super-involved in co-curricular activities. Maybe you're kinda smart and are among those that sweep academic awards year after year. Or maybe you're admiring trophies, but it's your big brother's Athlete of the Yearand your big sister's Best Student award. Who knows, perhaps even your little sis got a prize for the junior singing competition...and you sit there wondering, when will it ever be my turn?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've won a few small contests, school-level, and every single time I won it catches me by surprise. There was this time in primary school where I somehow won 5 trophies in a day for some miscellaneous quizzes and contests. However, I had so much stage fright that my teacher at that time had to push me on stage to collect my awards! As years passed, my stage fright lessened, but I got awards less frequently as the education level went up, making stuff harder and I regrettably strove less, too. I became content with 'good' and didn't really aim for my best. As a result, by the time I graduated secondary school after SPM, I was generally a good student...but good was just it: good. Yeah, I did good for my exam. However, there are parts of me that know it wasn't exactly my best, as I often know that I can do better than that but I didn't put in extra effort.

And here I am now, in form six, discovering and trying hard to redeem myself. To taste victory again after settling on being okay for an awfully long time.

I used to shy away from voluntarily joining contests because I tend to believe that I will never win them; the big breaks were always for someone else who's better and more talented. However, a chance to write for a Scholastic essay competition in form four started to change all that. I joined for fun, because my teacher thought that my language was reasonably good, and being a little flattered I decided to join, and realized that I just ignited a whole new passion in writing. From then, even while being quite inactive in school, I decided to try any essay or writing-related stuff coming my way, because I found a passion that I wanted to excel in instead of settle for mediocrity. My next foray was a themed essay competition for New Straits Times on organ donation. Even though my essay wasn't chosen (at that time my skills were pretty amateur, and now I'm still in the learning process. I'm definitely not an expert!), it made it into the school magazine. And that was in my first senior year (this year will be my true senior year). An achievement, nonetheless.

Then I found Recom.org, a student forum where I stumbled upon while trying to find out more on what to do after SPM. After a couple months in, being an active member and such, there was a recruitment drive for writers for Remag, a student magazine which was being revived at the time and into its 3rd month of publication. (This was the 2nd recruitment drive.) I tried my best by posting an essay on mediocrity (something that I felt pretty strongly about given my history of trying to break free from mediocrity). However, competition was pretty tough and I didn't make it. The editor of the magazine encouraged me to contribute as a guest writer. Disappointed as I was, I decided to write a guest article for the following month. Surprisingly, as I was about to contribute an article as a guest writer one month later, the writer post was offered to me, and today I've been contributing to Remag for about 3 months now (and I'm still contributing). This small step in pursuing my passion has been really significant and meaningful to me.

I'm going to try and tackle writing a novel in July next, joining the July version of Nanowrimo since STPM is in November...50,000 words a month here I come (and try) :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From experience, I know now that passion and perseverance are two key ingredients to learning from contests of any kind. As much as I'd really, really love to win contests, winning is secondary to the wisdom that's gleaned in the process :)



There's always something that can be learned in the journey...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Images taken from here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment