Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Scales Don't Lie - What? Kinda Plump...?!

Well, we both fret about weight but at least she's actually skinny...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How often do you worry about your weight?

I've always kept the issue of weight away from my conscious mind, because I'd always thought that I was okay when it came to weight, as my eating is basically controlled. However, one day, after we bought a new weighing scale for the home, I decided, once and for all, to know what my real weight was. 

The verdict is out now, and I found myself on the plump side. There have been some people before this that have been saying that I look chubby, and now the scales proved their hypothesis right.

The credit goes to nasi lemak overdose, a general love of eating (very un-girly to admit it but it's true) and too little exercise (if you call going to MBA once a week and walking to class exercise, that is).

The numbers show it all...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I secretly already knew it all along, just that I had been avoiding actually standing on an actual scale to avoid being certain about how much I weigh. And when I finally did, the numbers blurted out the not-so-pretty fact about how my physical shape is.

Admitting that you're slightly over the average weight for your age and build goes two ways. One is that I'd say it freely to, say, a friend that's fretting over her own weight that I'm plump to male her feel better (I've yet to hear any guys fret about their weight like how girls do...) but on the other hand, admitting that you're over the ideal weight makes me just that little more unattractive in my own eyes and in making positive first impressions.

Gone were my pre-puberty days where I was actually kinda short and skinny (I don't blame you if you find that hard to believe now...) and didn't have to worry about dress sizes. As a child, my sister and I climbed over the wall daily to play at my neighbours' place with them, and we were always running around the neighborhood. Even though we lived in simpler circumstances, we were fit and healthy. Even after moving to Puchong in late 2000, while I was a kid we still played badminton, 'scooters', and rode the bike in the yard and in the nearby park - bike with trainer wheels that is. (Now, my bike is in a state of sad disrepair and I can't cycle...!) 

However, since entering my teenage years until now, I started to eat more and abandon exercise, causing my weight to increase each year. Maybe it was the more affluent surroundings that we lived in when we moved here (I'm not in any way saying that I'm loaded right now, but we were able to enjoy a better life than when we lived in Seri Kembangan last time, with a bigger house and whatnot), or maybe it was technology replacing the good old days of playing outside, but I came up with this equation that sums my physical state now:

Laziness + Ignorance + Teenage Hormonal Influence + Height = Plump me. T_T

If you were wondering how much I actually weigh now...well, I'm kinda embarrassed to reveal 'the number' openly, but maybe if you ask me personally I won't mind telling you...all I can say is that even though my BMI is still in the healthy range (refer here to a table to know Asian BMI ranges and figure out yours there, too), my weight is above average. If you're like me and belong to the slightly plump category, you have to fret about buying certain clothes because they make you look fat; sitting down slouched is bound to make you look like there's plops of meat coming out from your stomach; height is to your disadvantage because you look chubby if you're short, unless you are actually skinny, and the list goes on.

Right now I'm taking a few steps to lose weight.

Ah, losing weight. The universal female obsession.

Among the ways to lose weight is to diet...but I can't pull this off. Besides, we do need to eat in moderation to stay healthy...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can tell you my target weight that I would like to maintain after this - 100lbs (45kg), which would put my BMI at around 19-20 (a healthy and safer range). It's realistic for me, as it's not too far from my actual weight right now, but it will take discipline, determination, and some time to realize.

Right now, what I'm doing to work my way there (I'll blog about this in few months' time and see how was progress...keeps me accountable): (Maybe we can do this together, who knows?)
  • Run on the threadmill for 30 minutes every day. (For now that is, I may increase the time once it becomes a habit)
  • Halve my servings of carbs per main meal.
  • Cut snacking unless it's healthy, e.g yogurt and fruits (that I happen to like a lot...)
  • Bring homemade sandwiches to school instead of buying school food.
  • Engage in physical activity whenever possible.
  • Limit weekly nasi lemak intake to no more than two packs per week. I eat nasi lemak every other day in school and outside before this, so doing that cuts the addiction...
Finally, after all is said and done, I would choose to not be depressed or sad about my less-than-perfect body and work on making it fit. After all, beauty is beyond what is on the outside and I need to work even more on  developing inner beauty.

Dropping dress sizes does sound real good though...:D

Yeah...my weight drop won't be dramatic but I know I'll be healthier.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Images taken from: (1). (2), (3), (4)


No comments:

Post a Comment