Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On MUET and the Mid-Term Papers

The exam hall...the place where years of education comes down on a few sheets of marked exercises.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I'm writing just to share my joy and disappointments with you on the aforementioned exams, as it really feels awkward keeping my feelings all to myself. :)

Firstly, the reasons why I'm happy.

My overall results are good, and I've got solid A plus-es (meaning 90 marks and above) in two of my subjects - Economics and History if you were wondering. As for the other two, which are General Studies and Business Studies, they definitely need more work if I'd dream to get myself on the freshman list for a good university (more on that later.) Oh, and I got a band 6 for MUET (Malaysian University English Test) on my first try.

Hold it right there. SAY WHAT?

Yay! You're welcome to imagine me jumping up and down on the couch, the bed, anywhere in my imagination...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, you and I heard me say that. I'm sorry if I'm starting to coming across as a show-off and being very un-Asian like (In my opinion, Asians are generally really low-profile about their successes and some even go to the extent of denying it: 'No la, I'm not that good...'), but...(brace yourself for the virtual screaming ahead...)

I'M ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY, POSITIVELY, TRULY, REALLY, REALLY HAPPY OVER MY M.U.E.T RESULTS...AND I CAN'T LIE THAT I'M JUST OKAY WITH IT!

There, I said it. I feel way better now that I can express this happiness that I never, ever expected to come arriving in my inbox in my SE w595. This week, ever since I got my results on Monday evening, I've been floating on cloud nine, feeling fabulous and almost celebrity-like over what I've achieved, [the feeling of rare success] which actually is what I've been secretly wishing for all this while to happen to me but seems like miles away as I've never been actually outstanding in anything in school(s) before this, much. I've been told that I made school history of being the first student to get that band in that school, and the accolades - friends and teachers congratulating me for a job well done these few days. I can't deny that I like what I feel, and I'm really happy.

For this feat I thank God (only through Him this is even possible!), as well as my family, teachers, friends for the roles that they have played in molding, training and encouraging me all this while. A special shout out goes out to those from Remag who gave me the opportunity to write for the magazine as I would not have striven to improve my English any further after SPM if not for this writing endeavor that's currently feeding my passion.

Now, for the not-so happy part.

I got B's for both my general studies (Pengajian Am, PA) and business studies (Pengajian Perniagaan, PP) papers, with one of my business studies papers just two marks over the passing grade. I just passed it, and without the help of the second paper (which was slightly better) I would have got a C. I'm quite disappointed with my PA, as it has been a strong subject of mine all the while but this time I screwed up on my first paper. I only blame myself for revising that paper - last minute. As for PP, it has always been the weakest link among the four subjects that I'm taking now, and I've got to really do something about it if I were to complete the other leg (the first leg, according to a teacher of mine, was MUET) of securing a (good) university admission and in the long term, to a brighter future. Think jumping 30-40 marks, that is from 50-60 marks to above 90 marks. I really, really need to buck up.

Generally, my academic performance went down this term - from 3A's to 2A2B, and that is what I'd definitely call as not my best. It hurts when I know that I can achieve better than that but due to my own tidak apa attitude I slacked and didn't run on all my cylinders. What you reap is what you sow, they say.

Studying a lot...the price to pay to score. Yup, I reaped what I sowed (and that that was not sown wilted in the end...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I indirectly did reap a lot on my MUET (even though I didn't realize it at that time) because while writing for Remag I knew I needed to push my language mastery up a few notches if I were to produce good articles that were beyond high school-level, and I guessed that improvement somehow affected my test too. However, as you can see from my other subjects, I didn't push myself enough.

Moral of the lesson is: If you put in effort, you'll improve slowly but surely, and the converse happens if you don't. I sometimes just need to relearn this lesson over and over again...

Lastly, a heartfelt message to fellow schoolmates and sixers on exams from me (I hope you can read this:)

Exam results are out, and I know that you and I have all sorts of feelings about them. Regardless of how you did, I want you to know that if you did your best, you are on the right track, and I highly salute you for that. I feel like I'm in a different world from you guys sometimes, as I do feel like I can't really identify with you guys when it comes to this (yesterday a friend of mine said, rather humorously, that I don't belong there with the rest of the class after getting to know my results...!) but I want you to know that I desire to share both the joys and pains of school life with you guys. If you need any help, I'll try my best to help (even though I may not know all the answers) and don't be shy to ask me okay? I actually like it a lot when people ask me stuff... :) As for the looming stress that has to do with STPM in a few months time, well we'll go through it together. Studying with you guys has been a great year of my schooling life (even as it comes to an end, sob...no more school uniform in half a years' time, I'm going to miss wearing one) and I really cherish your friendship. :D

Gals and guys, thanks for flipping text book pages together with me...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I shall pop an imaginary bottle of sparkling juice to celebrate...

Cheers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Images taken from: (1), (2), (3), (4), (5)

2 comments:

  1. .....sparkling juice? Oh, man! Lol, joking.

    I'm so proud of you Debbie! A band 6 in MUET? YOU'RE AWESOME. Congrats on the As, don't be discouraged by the Bs. It's still midyear, you have the time and opportunity to work things out so I hope you'll seize it and work for 4 As! i know you can do it :)

    And sorry for my absence from the blogging world. I hope I'll write more often..Heheh and I deleted my Twitter too! Heheh emo kids, biasalah, delete everything =.=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for dropping by...and you don't need to apologize la~ I was just wondering where your blog went then...well, if you were wondering, I also have tons of emo-ish unpublished posts drafted on this blog, some from long ago, so I can kinda understand the 'delete everything' feeling.

    5 more months to go for the exam...

    All the best to you too :)

    ReplyDelete