Sunday, January 31, 2010

Little Light: Music and Me

**Warning: Very long post ahead. Song Titles and Lyrics!**

I’m sure you love music, don’t you?

177425082_b2a4b66003 511978809_720639c569 3272079115_2b85933dc6 2879968718_17dbff32c0

Here’s one song which, though not really new, I just got to like recently:

I dare you to move 
I dare you to move 
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor 
I dare you to move 
I dare you to move 
Like today never happened 
Today never happened 

Maybe redemption has stories to tell 
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell 
Where can you run to escape from yourself? 
Where you gonna go? 
Where you gonna go? 
Salvation is here

(Switchfoot, Dare You To Move)


Haha…I like the whole song, just that I like the chorus and bridge best=)


I’m kind of connected to music in life, a lot of times without noticing it. Even when I was little, my grandmother used to teach me the songs “Thank You, Jesus” and “Come Bless The Lord” and her, me and my sister will sing it every night before bed.


As I grew up, the “songbase” in my brain grew in size. Some of the songs that I remember hearing often were like the “I’m a Barbie Girl”, “Para Para Sakura” and “Macarena”, as well as a few Chinese songs. The one I remembered the most was “Peng You”(Friend), sang during my primary graduation=)


I like some beats just for doing exercise. I have a aerobics CD at home with all kinds of weird but catchy music. My personal favorite is this one, “Jungle Song”:(!st part)

My name is Tarzan, I am jungle man
The tree top swinger from jungle land
Come baby come, I will take you for a swing
Let's go honey, I'm tinkling
Tarzan is handsome

Tarzan is strong
He's really cute and his hair is long
Tarzan is handsome
Tarzan is strong
So listen to the jungle song
LOL;-)


Besides that, I listen to upbeat tunes from the radio and TV. Currently I like songs such as “Replay”, “Face Drop”, “Whatcha Say”, “Paparazzi” and also this song which is a catchy but sound reminder about how to appreciate time:


Gotta start, Looking at the hands of the time we been given
If this is all we got then we gotta start thinkin’
If every second counts on the clock thats tickin’
Gotta live like we’re dyin’
We only got 864 hundred seconds in a day
To turn it all around or to throw it all away
Gotta tell em that we love em while we got the chance to say
Gotta
Live like we’re dyin’


(Kris Allen, Live Like We’re Dying [chorus, unofficial])

Movie soundtracks to me have a really good sound and effects(it really suits the movie and adds to its feel). Songs like “Colours of The Wind”, “Reflection”, “One Girl Revolution” and “You’ll be in My Heart” from Disney movies….I personally like the “Tarzan” movie soundtracks the best=)Also some current movie tracks whose name currently escapes me…(Man!…)

I like inspirational songs too, like “Wind Beneath My Wings” (and a lot of Celine Dion songs…I like her music), “Without You” and “Hero” by Mariah Carey, and “Note To God” by Charice.

And last but not least, I like contemporary Christian music (ok why did I list this last?)Because of the message that the songs  portray and how they remind me about God’s goodness and glory.From “youth group songs” such as “Treasure”, “One Desire” and “Reflector” to contemporary such as “Beautiful Ending” by Barlowgirl and “Take Me Back” by Jeremy Camp, these songs’ message inspire me in my walk with God…

I’ll never be able to fully catalog all the songs I like, even if I have an IPod (I don’t)because music is literally my life;-)

So, what’s your favorite songs?

This song is my Battlecry:

I have been a wayward child
I have acted out
I have questioned Sovereignty
And had my share of doubt

And though sometimes my prayers feel like
They're bouncing off the sky
The hand I hold won't let me go
And is the reason why...



[Chorus:]
I will stumble
I will fall down
But I will not be moved
I will make mistakes
I will face heartache
But I will not be moved
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
I will not be moved



Bitterness has plagued my heart
Many times before
My life has been like broken glass
And I have kept the score
Of all my shattered dreams and though it seemed
That I was far too gone
My brokenness helped me to see
It's grace I'm standing on



[Chorus]


And the chaos in my life
Has been a badge I've worn
Though I have been torn
I will not be moved

[Chorus]


(Natalie Grant, I Will Not Be Moved)

No comments:

Post a Comment