Sunday, March 13, 2011

On healthy eating and nasi lemak addiction.

Can't believe how insensitive I am to unhealthy food nowadays.

It was a Sunday night, so my mom decided to take a break from cooking and we all went to a mamak stall for dinner. We ordered the usual (but kinda nice actually) mamak fare. I ordered fried Maggi noodles, mamak style, since it had been a long time since I had that.

When the food came, other members of my family 'pinched' (yea we call it that) a bit of my noodles, only to eat a scoop and come back with "Ugh, so salty!" Then I ate it...but to my amazement I didn't think that it was salty, when everyone else in the family unanimously came to that conclusion.

Why this came across as a complete surprise? Because well, at home my mom makes sure that we eat meals with less salt and seasoning, and by right we should be seasoned to less salt that outside fare would definitely seem salty at first bite. However, the fact that my tongue has become so insensitive...

Hmm, I think now I can point my finger back to my nasi lemak addiction. I have nasi lemak almost every time I have access to it, outside home for a meal. The sambal, especially.



So after discussing with my mom, we decided to pack extra sandwiches for school every school day, where before this I had nasi lemak almost every day for recess. She'll make the sandwiches more filling to last me for school, especially the days where I need to stay back after school. A proactive step in curbing my nasi lemak addiction, I hope.

On weekends...the temptation is greater when I'm on my own, and constant self-reminders of the importance of health would help a lot.

Don't be mistaken, I still love nasi lemak, but now I'd just have them as a treat. I think after this I'll savour every rare nasi lemak treat that I do have to the last scoop, it's more enjoyable that way since at the same time I know that I'm taking care of my health :)

No comments:

Post a Comment